Linoleum is a popular economical floor covering. But it has a significant drawback – it is easily damaged by mechanical action. Dents from furniture legs, cuts from sharp objects, burn marks from hot surfaces: all this irreparably spoils the appearance of the floor covering. If the repair of the premises is not included in the nearest plans, you can try to restore the linoleum with defects. Glue, a ruler, a sharp knife, patches, an iron and a bit of effort: that’s probably all it takes.
Remove dents with an iron
Dents in linoleum often show up on the legs of heavy furniture. At this stage, the coating is stretched, wrinkled and even torn. When rearranging, you need to hide the bumps under the carpet or other furniture. But there is a simple way to quickly and effectively eliminate these defects. To do this, we need an iron and a thick fabric.
Before starting the process, you must first wipe the linoleum with a damp cloth, and then with a damp cloth, cleaning it from dust. The prepared cloth should be moistened in water or ammonia and put in the place of the bump on top.
We heat the iron to the minimum temperature and apply it to the damage through the material for a few seconds. Then we remove the device and evaluate the result. If the fault does not disappear the first time, you must repeat the procedure one or more times. In order for the dent to straighten out faster, it is recommended to wipe the place of the defect with a soft roller for wallpaper seams. You need to do this as soon as you remove the iron, while the surface has not yet cooled.
If the place of massive furniture legs is worn out so much that not only dents appear, but also holes, the following method will help you.
Repair punctures with PVC glue
Small cuts and punctures in linoleum can be easily removed with universal PVC adhesive. The main thing here is accuracy. If everything is done correctly, the flaws will become almost invisible.
Before starting work, clean the coating from debris and dust with a damp cloth. Then you need to degrease the surface with alcohol or solvent. After that, you can start the gluing procedure. For this you need:
- Squeeze the glue from the tube to the edges of the cut, spread it evenly over the surface.
- Bring the edges together and fix the place of gluing for a few minutes. If the adhesive has gone beyond the edges of the cutout, gently wipe it off with a damp cloth.
- Put a heavy object in place of the collage: a weight, a pan of water, or something else. The filler should be lubricated from below with any vegetable oil so that it does not stick to the linoleum. Otherwise, it will be difficult to pull it out of the ground without damaging it.
Full curing time of PVC adhesive can be up to 12 hours. Only after that it is worth removing the filler from the flooring.
Restoration by patching and cold welding
This method is the most laborious of all presented. But it should be used in cases where there are burns and large holes on the coating that cannot be sealed.
The restoration will require a patch, which can be cut from another piece of the same or similar linoleum, and a special adhesive called cold welding. Its peculiarity is that after application it melts the edges of the coating. The seam after such a “welding” becomes almost imperceptible.
The work sequence is as follows:
- We clean and degrease the coating.
- We spread the patch over the hole from above to combine the details of the picture.
- Using a sharp knife and a metal ruler, cut a smooth-edged hole so that it is slightly larger than the through defect. With a knife, you need to cut both layers of linoleum: both the base and the patch.
- Remove the lower cut piece by prying it up with a spatula.
- Lay the patch in the resulting hole, aligning the pattern details.
- Glue the seams around the perimeter with adhesive tape, roll the surface with a roller.
- Carefully cut the masking tape with a utility knife along the seam line.
- Shake the cold welding adhesive and press it into the cuts along the perimeter of the hole, pressing them with your fingers after gluing.
- Remove the masking tape 15 minutes after applying the adhesive.
It is important that the cold welding adhesive does not come into contact with the surface. Otherwise, it will corrode the linoleum and stains will appear on it. Adhesive tape is needed so that the remaining glue does not come out and spoil the coating.
Thus, it turned out quite easy to fix the defects of linoleum. The main thing is to choose the right restoration method depending on the type of damage and the type of flooring. These simple tips will help you save money in your household budget.