Over time, the door seals dry out, the hinges weaken, and a very noticeable gap appears between the car door and the body frame. To adjust the tightness of the door, use the advice of professionals. This article provides basic workarounds to resolve this issue.
Door lock adjustment
Over time, the hinges sag, the geometry of the case changes, and the lock latch needs new fulcrums. Two points are in the castle, and two more in the loops.
The door lock consists of two parts:
- main mechanism;
- answer part.
The repair begins with the calibration of the lock counterpart. By adjusting its position, it is very often possible to completely eliminate the following problems:
- space between door and body frame;
- stiffness when closing and opening;
- the need to slam the door hard so that the bolt of the lock can catch on the strike plate.
To adjust the fit of the lock mating piece, you must:
- loosen the fixing screws of the bracket by 1-2 mm;
- adjust its position by moving it in the right direction;
- tighten the screws and check the operation of the lock;
- if necessary, repeat the procedure, choosing the most convenient location for the strike.
If the door began to close normally, but the gap between it and the body part was preserved, you will need to further adjust the locking mechanism. Its calibration is carried out according to the same principle: the screws are loosened, the metal parts are moved by 1-2 mm, screwed back and the quality of the click is checked.
When adjusting the locking mechanism, do not forget about the presence of an ordinary key, which can also be used to lock the car. When repairing the lock, periodically insert the key into the well, scroll and check the operation of the locking device.
By adjusting the lock, it is possible to reduce the gap to a minimum. If the car did not enter the DPT, the geometry of the body was not violated, and the hinges performed their functions, then the car owner will not need anything else.
Rear door adjustment
Experts do not advise adjusting the hinges without a good reason. Changing the plane of the hinge by at least 2-3 mm can lead to the formation of a centimeter gap in the area of the lock, then the car will completely stop closing.
Usually, buckles are adjusted in the following cases:
- the curvature of the door plane is visually noticeable;
- the door protrudes outward, protrudes too far from the fender, or collapses inward;
- all spaces around the perimeter are different;
- large deviations spoil the appearance of the car;
- other parts of the body interfere with opening the door.
For self-adjusting buckles, use the instructions:
- mark with a pencil the initial position of the loop on the pillar of the body, so that later you can navigate where to move the loop;
- loosen the hinge fixing screws;
- move the hinge brackets 1-2mm to the side, tighten the screws and close the door;
- visually assess the result of the adjustment, check the width of the gap and the change in position of the door;
- if necessary, repeat the operation and adjust the second buckle.
Experts warn of the heavy weight of car doors and the negative consequences of illiterate adjustment. They advise to be careful, to take your time and in no case to overtighten the screws.
Huge gaps between the door and the body irritate car owners. This problem can have various causes, ranging from long-term wear of the hinges to illiterate mounting on the conveyor. If you take a screwdriver, in most cases you can fix the problem yourself.