- Be productive by telling Outlook to archive messages for you
- Automatic email archiving with Outlook AutoArchive on Windows
- Set up AutoArchive in Outlook
- E-mail aging period
Be productive by telling Outlook to archive messages for you
It’s easy for email to fill your Outlook inbox, leaving you with an inbox that keeps getting bigger and bigger. You can manually archive individual messages as they arrive, but this takes time. Instead, turn on AutoArchive and let Outlook move old messages to the archive for you.
The instructions in this article apply to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and Outlook for Office 365.
Automatic email archiving with Outlook AutoArchive on Windows
The AutoArchive feature is included in the desktop version of Outlook. To enable the AutoArchive feature:
Open Outlook, go to tab File and choose parameters: .
In the dialog box parameters: select Additionally .
In chapter Automatic archiving select Auto archive settings .
Check box Run AutoArchive every n days and then specify how often you want AutoArchive to run.
Set any other options you want to customize AutoArchive.
Click Okay to finish.
Set up AutoArchive in Outlook
You can set up the AutoArchive feature in Outlook in several ways.
- Ask before starting AutoArchive . If you want to know when Outlook automatically archives old emails.
- Delete Expired Items . Outlook permanently deletes old email messages that are older than a certain number of days.
- Show archive folder in folder list . Displays the archive folder so you can view archived emails and save them to your personal folder if you want to keep them.
- Delete items older . Set an expiration limit for permanently deleted archived messages.
- Move old items to . Move emails to a folder on your computer instead of deleting them.
E-mail aging period
If you do not specify a different time period, Outlook will apply the default expiration period to Outlook messages. For your mailbox, the default aging period is six months. For shipped and deleted items it is two months. For outgoing, the maturation period is three months.
When messages reach their specified expiration period, they are marked for archiving on the next AutoArchive session.
After enabling auto-archiving, make sure to specify at the folder level what old email is and how it should be treated.
You can also manually archive items if your main Outlook file gets too large.