- Manage your email automatically with email rules
- Outlook.com Inbox Rules
- Available terms in Outlook.com
- Available actions in Outlook.com
Manage your email automatically with email rules
E-mail rules allow you to automatically process incoming e-mails so that Outlook.com can route and organize e-mails.
For example, you might want all messages from a particular sender to go directly to your Deleted Items folder when you receive them. An email rule can trigger this type of automation.
Rules can also move email to a specific folder, forward email, mark a message as junk, and more.
These instructions apply to all email accounts you use on Outlook.com, including @hotmail.com, @live.com, and @outlook.com.
Outlook.com Inbox Rules
Follow these steps to set up automatic mailbox rules on Outlook.com:
Sign in to your Outlook.com account at Outlook.Live.com.
Open the menu Email Settings by clicking the gear icon at the top of the page. Scroll down and click View all Outlook settings †
In the settings window, go to mail on the navigation bar and click regulations than Add new rule †
In the Rules window, enter a name for the rule.
Select a condition from the menu Add condition †
You can enable additional terms by clicking Add another condition † Conditions include the words or phrases in the subject or body of the email, who the email belongs to, and whether it has an attachment. See below for a complete list.
Then select the action to take when the conditions are met from the drop-down menu Add action † You can add more by clicking Add another action †
If you don’t want the rule to run under certain circumstances, click Add an exception † The exception menu has the same options as the conditions menu.
Check the box next to Stop processing additional rules if you want to make sure no other rules apply after that. The rules run in the order they are listed (you can change the order after you save the rule). Click Okay to save the rule.
Outlook will now check incoming emails against the criteria you selected and apply the rule you created.
Available terms in Outlook.com
There is a long list of conditions that can be applied when creating a new rule. You can set up one or more of these rules to manage email automatically.
- from or to : The email is sent to or from specific people.
- You are the recipient † You are on the To or Cc lines or not on the To or Cc lines.
- Subject or text † There are certain words or phrases in a subject or text.
- Keywords † The body of an email message from the sender or recipient, or even the header, contains certain keywords.
- tagged † The message is marked as important or confidential.
- Message size † The size of the email exceeds a certain size.
- Receive † You received an email before or after a certain date.
- All messages † The rule is applied to every incoming message.
Available actions in Outlook.com
You can set an unlimited number of actions to take when an email meets one of the conditions you set.
Actions you can invoke include:
- Move to † Move the message to a specific folder.
- Copy to † Make a copy and place it in a folder.
- remove † Automatically deletes email.
- Pin up † Keep your email address at the top of your inbox.
- Mark as read † This will mark the email as if you had already read it.
- Mark as junk † Moves the email to the Junk Email folder.
- Highlight with importance : Mark the email as important.
- categorization † Apply any category to the letter.
- forward † Forwards the letter to any email address.
- Forward as attachment † Forward the email as an attachment to another address.
- Redirect to † Send an email to a different address by deleting it from your mailbox.
You can set multiple actions to ensure that an email meets the conditions you set.