During a long walk or a weekend in nature, a hearty snack is essential. How to prevent cold drinks and food from spoiling on a hot summer day? This will help the bag – refrigerator, which maintains the initial temperature of the product for several hours. Buying a fairly expensive accessory in the store is not necessary. It is easy to make it with your own hands, spending a few hours and several hundred rubles.
Materials and tools needed
Since the accessory works on the principle of a thermos, you will need materials that isolate refrigerated products from the external environment. The most affordable household thermal insulators are:
- polystyrene foam or its more modern analogue polystyrene foam;
- polyethylene foam covered with aluminum foil on both sides, 5 mm thick or more.
These materials are freely sold at hardware stores by the yard and are inexpensive. You can interview friends and acquaintances who have recently made repairs and use the remnants of insulation. For the manufacture of a bag – a refrigerator, small scraps are also suitable.
To work you will need tools and additional materials:
- metallized double-sided wide adhesive tape for fixing insulation joints;
- foam glue (PVA, liquid nails or a special mixture);
- stationery knife, scissors;
- tape measure, pencil, paper to build patterns.
As the basis of the product, any suitably sized bag is suitable, with comfortable handles and a zipper. It is important that it has a wide, rectangular or square base and straight walls. It is easier to cover a bag of this configuration with insulation from the inside.
How to DIY
The workflow is divided into stages.
- Preparation of the interior space of the bag consists of removing partitions, zippers, pockets.
- To make a pattern, the dimensions of the walls, the floor inside the bag are taken, minus 5-8 mm from the obtained result.
- The dimensions are transferred to paper, from there to the insulation. The saying “measure seven times, cut once” fits this work step very well.
The floor detail is done in duplicate. The second element is necessary for the installation of an insulated cover.
- Finished parts are interconnected with tape or glue. If polyethylene foam with an aluminum side was used in the job, that side must be inside the bag during assembly.
If there is a free space between the insert and the walls of the bag, the bag is filled with foam chips or pieces of polyethylene.
To improve the effect of the work of such a bag – a thermos, additional cold containers placed inside will help. They are ordinary plastic water bottles, pre-frozen. To melt the water slowly, salt is added to it (150-200 g per 1 liter).
A more “advanced” version of the cold accumulator is made from food gelatin. It is dissolved in salt water, according to the instructions, laid out in a sealed bag and frozen. Frozen gel melts longer than water.
A bag – a self-made refrigerator shows no less efficiency than a ready-made accessory, subject to proper operation. The products are placed there already refrigerated, wrapped in paper. The bag is kept tightly closed, protected from the sun.