- View notifications even when Gmail is closed
- Enable desktop alerts for new Gmail messages
- Gmail Desktop Notifications Not Working?
View notifications even when Gmail is closed
You can set up desktop notifications in Gmail to be notified when you receive new emails. You’ll even see notifications when you’re not actively using Gmail.
The instructions in this article apply to Gmail on the web. Desktop notifications for Gmail work in most browsers, including Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Edge, and Safari.
Enable desktop alerts for new Gmail messages
Enabling Gmail alerts requires a minor tweak to your Gmail settings and then tells the browser to accept push notifications.
Select equipment in the top right corner of Gmail, then select Settings in the drop-down menu.
On the tab Occur often scroll down to the section Desktop notifications and choose one of the options:
- New Email Notifications : Gmail will notify you of all new messages that arrive in your inbox. You will not receive notifications for messages that have been filtered to the trash, automatically marked as read, or identified as spam.
- Important Email Notifications † Gmail only sends messages to the desktop that Gmail has marked as important.
- Email notifications are disabled : Gmail does not send email alerts for desktops.
When prompted to confirm that the browser should accept Gmail notifications, select to allow or Yes †
Scroll down the page and select Saving Changes †
If you are using Windows 10, you must enable notifications from Chrome in the Windows Action Center. Enter Settings for notifications and actions in the Windows search bar and select this option from the pop-up menu.
Mac and Linux users can skip to step 6.
Make sure your browser notifications are set to: on †
Update your browser. The change may take some time.
New message notifications appear in your computer’s notifications tab.
You can also set custom sounds for new email notifications in Gmail.
Gmail Desktop Notifications Not Working?
If Gmail desktop notifications aren’t working in Chrome:
Select lock on the left side of the Gmail address bar, then select Site Settings in the drop-down menu.
Make sure that notifications set value to allow †
You can also customize the notification settings in Opera and Edge by selecting lock next to the address bar.