Manufacturers recommend changing the oil every 10-15 thousand kilometers. And now it’s time for a replacement. It’s good if you have a viewing hole or an elevator available to you. Then you can empty the waste yourself. However, this is often not the case and you have to go to a gas station and pay for the service. Just in such a case, there is a method for quickly changing the oil yourself. To do this, you need to assemble a simple oil pumping unit with your own hands, the main component of which will be a vacuum cleaner.
Materials and tools needed
To assemble the fixture, you will need several affordable parts that most motorists have in the garage. If there are none, they are sold at the nearest hardware store.
Materials required and details:
- plastic corner for pipes with a diameter of 15 mm (as an option, you can use a garden tee of the same diameter);
- a piece of flexible PVC tube 12 mm thick;
- 2 meters of flexible PVC tube 6 mm thick, which will serve as a pipe;
- a large container with a plastic lid (can, jar, etc.);
- vacuum cleaner nozzle;
- A vacuum.
- awl and knife for making holes;
- electric jigsaw (if the roofing material is solid);
- hot glue gun.
How to replace car oil with a vacuum cleaner
A homemade oil pump unit works on the principle of a vacuum pump. A pipe connected to the collection container is inserted at the location of the oil dipstick. A vacuum cleaner is connected to the container through another hole. It creates thrust and thus pumps oil.
Oil recovery steps:
- Cut holes in the lid. We take the cover and cut out two holes: under the vacuum cleaner nozzle and under the PVC corner. If a plastic cartridge is used, a slot for the corner can be made from above in the body of the container.
- If a tee is used instead of a PVC corner, it must be prepared. Two sides are cut and one of them is filled with hot glue. The result is a complete corner replacement.
- Insert the vacuum nozzle into the wide opening in the lid. Insert a PVC corner into the narrow corner.
- We fix the nozzle and the corner to the lid with hot glue.
- Pipe laying. First, insert a piece of flexible tubing into the corner, then insert a two-meter pipe into it. We connect the vacuum tube to the nozzle.
- We put a lid on the container. The pumping station is ready.
- We remove the probe and insert the free end of the pipe all the way into the crankcase.
- We turn on the vacuum cleaner. Oil pumping will begin.
- At the end of the procedure, it remains only to pour in new oil and replace the oil filter.
Draining takes 5 to 40 minutes depending on the engine. The engine must first be warmed up to operating condition. Thus, the used oil will become more fluid and flow faster.
At the end of the work, the volume of the drained mine must be measured. The same amount of fresh fluid will need to be poured into the oil pan through the dipstick.
Is it worth changing the oil this way?
As a rule, it is not possible to remove all the oil with a vacuum cleaner. The fact is that over time, metal deposits, dirt and soot accumulate in the lubricant. After pumping the liquid waste, the heavy fractions remain at the bottom of the sump.
Nevertheless, the method allows you to save on gas stations and the purchase of a special vacuum pump. In addition, the removal of oil by a vacuum cleaner is faster than with the traditional method, when the waste is removed from below. On average, pumping takes 30 minutes. In the absence of a pit in the garage or an elevator, this method helps a lot.