- Use Outlook Conversation Cleanup to optimize your mailbox
- Optimize conversations in Outlook
- Quickly simplify a conversation in Outlook with a keyboard shortcut
- Set conversation cleaning options in Outlook
Use Outlook Conversation Cleanup to optimize your mailbox
Mailers automatically indicate the entire original message in replies. So your emails may contain the same message multiple times: once in the original email and then quoted in each reply. Use the Outlook Conversation Cleanup Tool to delete these messages and instruct your email.
The instructions in this article apply to Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, and Outlook for Office 365.
Optimize conversations in Outlook
To clear conversations in Outlook and delete unwanted messages:
Go to the tab House †
In Group remove select Clear †
Choose how much to clean up:
- Clear conversation † Remove messages that are fully quoted in other messages from the current conversation.
- Empty folder † Delete all extra emails from the current folder.
- Delete folder and subfolders † Remove fully quoted messages from the current folder and all folders below it in the folder hierarchy.
In the confirmation window, select Clear or Empty folder depending on the cleanup option you chose in step 3.
By default, emails that Outlook identifies as unnecessary go to the Deleted Items folder, but you can set Outlook to move them to an archive or other folder.
Quickly simplify a conversation in Outlook with a keyboard shortcut
To quickly optimize an ongoing conversation in Outlook:
Select the conversation you want to delete.
Click Alt+Del †
In the confirmation window, select Clear †
Set conversation cleaning options in Outlook
To select the folder where Outlook moves redundant messages when it is cleaned and set other cleaning options, please do as follows:
Go to the tab File and choose parameters: †
Go to category mail †
In chapter Clearing up a conversation select Overview Near Cleaned up items go to this folder †
In the dialog box Select folder select the folder where unnecessary messages are stored, such as the folder archive † Then select Okay †
If desired, choose other options to clear a conversation:
- When deleting subfolders, recreate the folder hierarchy in the destination folder : Archive items preserving the folder structure. Select this option if you use a purge destination folder other than Deleted items †
- Don’t move unread messages † Stores unread emails (even if these messages are fully quoted and redundant).
- Don’t move categorized posts : Stores emails you’ve tagged so that those messages appear in search folders.
- Do not move flagged messages † Do not move or delete emails that you mark as follow-ups.
- Do not move digitally signed messages † Stores emails signed by the sender to verify their identity.
- When a reply changes a message, don’t move the original † Stores the complete and unaltered text for each message. E-mail messages entered as is will be moved during cleaning.
Select Okay †