- Enable or disable Outlook in Focus Inbox
- Enable or disable focus inbox in Outlook 2016 and Outlook for Office 365
- Enable or disable focused inbox in Outlook.com
- How does Outlook determine which emails to put in the focus mailbox?
- How can I move emails and train Outlook focused email?
Enable or disable Outlook in Focus Inbox
The default view in recent versions of Outlook is a feature called Targeted Inbox. Focused Inbox separates important emails from the rest and puts them in a special tab for easy access. If you don’t want to use Focused Inbox, disable it. If you want to use it, customize it according to your needs.
The instructions in this article apply to Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook for Office 365, and Outlook.com.
Enable or disable focus inbox in Outlook 2016 and Outlook for Office 365
Enable or disable Focused Inbox with a single selection.
Choose a folder inbox †
Go to the tab Vision †
Select Show focus inbox to enable or disable Focused Inbox.
Enable or disable focused inbox in Outlook.com
To switch the focused inbox in Outlook Mail on the web:
Select Settings (gear icon ⚙️).
Turn the toggle switch on or off Targeted Inbox to enable or disable the Focused Inbox view.
close to Quick Settings †
How does Outlook determine which emails to put in the focus mailbox?
Several factors determine which messages appear in Outlook Focused Inbox. These include:
- Past lessons from similar emails † If you move an email from a newsletter to a Focused Inbox, future messages from the same newsletter will automatically appear in the Focused Inbox.
- People you’ve emailed in the past † If you send multiple messages to a customer, messages from their email address will automatically appear in the Focused Mailboxes folder.
- People in your Outlook contacts † When you add an email address to your address book, emails from those contacts appear in your Targeted Inbox.
- Notable newsletters, mailing lists, transactional emails and notifications † These spam and junk emails, as well as updates about your social media accounts, appear in the Other folder.
How can I move emails and train Outlook focused email?
You can move email to or from your Inbox in Outlook or Outlook.com.
To move an email from the Other folder to the Focused folder, right-click the message in the Other folder and select Move to focus or Always moving to focus †
To move email from the Focused Mailbox folder to the Other folder, right-click the message in the Focused Mailbox folder and select Go to another †
Focused inbox is enabled independently in Outlook and Outlook Mail on the web. Disabling Outlook.com Focused Inbox won’t affect your Outlook desktop app.