- Stay in touch with friends
- What is a Snapchat card?
- How to access Snap Map in Snapchat app
- Using Snap Map in the Snapchat App
- How to use Snap Map from the web
- Disable location sharing on a snapshot map
Stay in touch with friends
You can share your location with friends on Snapchat by applying location filters to your snaps, but that’s not all you can do. Snapchat Map offers a whole new way to share your location.
What is a Snapchat card?
The Snapchat Map is an interactive map that you can use to share your location with your friends. You can also see your friends on the map when they share their location with you. If your friends have integrated their Bitmoji account with Snapchat, they will appear as their Bitmoji symbols on the map.
Snapshot also has a community-based “Our Story” feature that allows you to add your own snapshots of a location to the collection of stories for that specific location. So when someone views this collection of stories in a snapshot, they see all the snapshots of every user who contributed to our story for that location.
How to Access Snap Map in Snapchat App
There are three ways to get a Snap Map in the Snapchat app for iOS and Android, and they are all pretty easy.
- Pinch to zoom out on the camera, friends or discovery screen † Place your index finger and thumb on one of the three main screens on the outside of the screen and slowly drag them together as if you were zooming out of the screen. The map appears on the screen.
- Touch the magnifying glass at the top of any screen to open the search screen † A small version of the anchor map appears below the search function on the search screen. Click it to view it in full screen.
- Tap “Map History” on the “Discovery” screen † Here you can view the snapshot map stories so you can view them. Click on any map history to view it.
If this is your first time opening Snap Map, you may be prompted to adjust your Snap Map settings. You can choose whether you, your friends or specific friends want to see your location.
If you ever want to change your location settings later:
Click on your profile icon in the top left corner,
Click on icon acceleration in the top right corner to open the settings.
Scroll down to the section Who can and press View my location †
Using Snap Map in the Snapchat App
Now that you know how to access Snap Map, you can start using it. Here are all the different ways you can take advantage of it.
- See your friends’ locations † Friends who choose to share their location with you will appear on the anchor map. Tap a friend to chat with them directly, or press and hold to go to their profile.
- Find a friend’s location † Wondering where in the world a friend could be? Click Search at the top of the screen to find a specific friend on the map.
- Use the “Heat Map” to see the photos shared with others † You can drag the map and look for splashes of color on the map showing where people are filming. Blue means there are only a few clicks and red means there are many clicks. Click on the colored area to see the photos you’ve shared.
- View stories for hotspots † Exploring the colored areas of the map reveals collections of stories created for extremely popular places and events. First click on a very popular part of the map to open the circular story collection and then click on the story collection to see the stories added to it.
- Add your own photos to our story † If you take photos from a location with your own collection of stories, you can choose our story from send tab after shooting. You can also click + Custom at the top of the tab send to create your own location history that you can share with your loved ones.
How to use Snap Map from the web
Snap Map can also be accessed from a web browser. Just like you use your finger to move the map in the mobile app, you can use the cursor to select the map and drag it to other locations. You can also use your mouse or trackpad to zoom in and out.
Select a colored piece or a round collection of stories that appears to view the photos. A popup will appear above the map and will automatically play all the photos shared by people in that specific location.
Disable location sharing on a snapshot map
If you decide not to share your location on the snapshot map, you can turn off the location sharing setting. To do this, open the snapshot map by touching and dragging the screen with your fingers, then tap the icon with a picture of a ghost in the upper right corner.
On the next Settings tab, click the button Ghost mode to enable it. When Ghost Mode is turned on, no one can see your location, not even your friends.