- Discover the app for online shopping with discounts
- How the Wish app works
- How can you offer goods so cheaply?
- What to expect
- Tips to consider when using the Wish app
Discover the app for online shopping with discounts
The Wish app is one of the most popular shopping apps. Available for desktop, Android and iPhone, the coveted e-commerce app has caught the attention of shoppers with its drastically reduced prices. Also noteworthy is the focus of publications such as Forbes on business valuation and financing. In light of all this, you may be wondering if the Wish app is legal and how it works.
How the Wish app works
To start using Wish, you need to register an account with your Facebook login, Gmail login or a new login that you create with your email address.
Once you’ve done that, you can browse the available deals by category (Accessories, Baby & Baby, Fashion, Gadgets, Hobbies, Home Decor, Phone Upgrades, and more). There’s even a ‘Made for You’ section with t-shirts and mugs that can be personalized with your name.
How can you offer goods so cheaply?
As you browse through the products available on Wish, you’ll soon find that it’s advertising some almost unbelievable discounts. For example, a pair of women’s boots is listed at a discount of $181 to $18. However, Wish doesn’t list the brand or other features of this product, or for countless others, on its site, so you can’t really be sure that you get a huge discount.
This leads to one important thing to note about Wish: it ships directly from manufacturers in China and elsewhere in Asia, which explains why it can keep prices so low. All in all, you shouldn’t expect the same level of quality as when paying top dollar.
What to expect
You will definitely find discounted prices when you buy through the Wish app. For all products for sale on Wish, you can see approximately how many people have purchased each product, rounded to the nearest thousand. For example, a Bluetooth smartwatch can be listed for $9 and purchased by over 20,000 customers. You’ll also find a lot of cheap, trendy clothing, such as sweatpants that cost less than $15, discounted by $140.
Once you decide you want to purchase an item, simply add it to your cart. Wish usually shows a slightly lower price when you add an item to your cart (for example, $8.55 instead of $9).
Shipping costs vary depending on the item, but are usually less than $10. However, as you will discover in the section below, delivery times can be long.
Keep in mind that you can adjust how many notifications you receive from a wish. By default, you’ll receive a plethora of emails with product recommendations, deal reviews, and more.
Tips to consider when using the Wish app
Wish is a very useful app for finding great deals, but there are a few things to keep in mind when using the app.
- Displays your real name publicly for product listings, so be careful: This is one of the most important things to keep in mind when using the Wish app. According to Buzzfeed, the app shows customers’ full names on their profiles, along with their wish list. Don’t think your wishlist is private and consider not creating a wishlist and full view of items in Wish. All this to say that the Wish app does not provide any information that identifies you as an individual to third parties.
- Delivery times vary widely. The reviews on the Wish app make it clear that you should not expect items to arrive on time. Some users report that it takes more than a month to receive the product, while other items may arrive within a few days. Basically, delivery times seem to be everywhere.
- Read product details † Discounted prices may make more sense if you check the details of the product you are ordering. Items that you can buy through Wish are usually not among the most popular, and it seems that the items listed with the original prices can be compared to branded options.
Wish may be one of the most popular apps in its category, but it’s certainly not the only option. Here are a few others to consider:
- AliExpress † Available for Android and iOS, this app allows you to purchase goods from a wide variety of suppliers in China and abroad. Like Desire, it has a strong focus on low-cost products. One advantage is that it offers free shipping on most orders.
- hollar – † It’s a good way to check if you want to shop in a wide variety of categories, from Christmas items to clothing, technology and beauty products. It is available for Android and iOS and offers discounts of 50 to 90 percent.
- Zulily- If you are specifically looking for women’s, children’s or mother’s clothing or household items, this Android and iOS app is definitely worth checking out. It offers daily deals as well as app-only deals and early access to sales.